Friday, March 24, 2017

Kubler Article Review

     Kugler brought up an interesting analogy when he compared individual artists to train tracks. Although each artist is their own person, when we look at their work we need to examine their lives and skills as part of a bigger image. This concept is similar to individual train tracks they way they all connect to other tracks. If we only examined one artist's work there would not be any context. To better understand the image, I think that we should look at both the artist's personal life and their cultural influences. Every artist has their own biography, but comes from a broader movement and time period. Perhaps their piece ties into propaganda about a current event. Kugler brings this up by saying that when an artist enters into a culture he or she needs to make a big entrance or they are "in danger of wasting [their] time." If the artist tries to blend into the other tracks they will be a minimal part of a movement. If an artist makes a bold statement they can become more of an individual. According to Kugler, depending on their entrance we can determine whether their work is temperamental or apart of a train track like sequence. 
     Another analogy that I found to be thought provoking was that two scientists with different specialties could not learn from each other or talk about their research together. It immmedialty made sense to me that amount scientists they could be doing very different work and not understand the other's perspective and methods. Kugler connected this to two painters in different schools. I have always generalized painters in one broad category assuming that they all use similar techniques and ideologies. This article served as in intervention to my previous notions.I began to think about how I can use the different projects we used in class to understand this analogy. All of the projects we have done with different materials take a period of adjustment to understand the characteristics of the tools. If I was sitting in class next to someone who was using water colors and tried to give them the advice I used for my acrylic paints they would not be able to understand what I was saying. They are two very different materials that create drastically different experiences for the user.  Kugler's article helped me arrive at this conclusion. 
FileFile

No comments:

Post a Comment